Search Our Site

Register

Wisdom - Being Wise Beyond Your Years

More
04 Sep 2017 03:44 - 06 Sep 2017 00:27 #1 by ARLewis
ARLewis ► Wisdom - Being Wise Beyond Your Years
Wisdom - Being Wise Beyond Your Years

Pick up any dictionary and you’ll get a definition of a word...aka, the accepted phrasing of what a word means and how it should be used. How then can one believe any dictionary by the sheer fact that multiple dictionaries exist? Is any one of them actually correct? This line of thinking started me down a path to debate the existence and study of language itself and I had to stop myself. It would be a life path of study that, while intriguing, would keep me from needed work and such things just can’t happen..

So I get back to the thought that brought me to that definition of “definition”. The parent of a friend of mine referred to me as “being wise beyond your years” and that they wished I would share some of that wisdom with my friend. I was touched, but it made me think of what is wisdom actually. I do not actually think of myself as wise. I’m one of the dumbest people I know actually. I study books all day. How is that wise?

So I pulled out a dictionary, hence the beginning here, (alright, yes, I went online as I actually do not like dictionaries as they are boring).
Wisdom:
Noun -
the ability or result of an ability to think and act utilizing knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight.
or
accumulated knowledge, erudition, or enlightenment.

I then pulled out good ol’ Merriam Webster and got:
Noun -
knowledge that is gained by having many experiences in life

the natural ability to understand things that most people cannot understand

knowledge of what is proper or reasonable: good sense or judgement.

The more clinical a thought I have about the very idea of wisdom or as was said, “being wise beyond my years,” the more I believe that applying it to me is a fallacy. I have what some might term “book knowledge” or possibly even intelligence, but in my opinion, wisdom is a kind of knowledge that is beyond mere mortal men. Wisdom is the knowledge of the ‘right’, whatever your definition of right is. (love the pun?). Wisdom is the ability to apply knowledge from whatever source and better one’s own circumstances and or the situations of others. Or, one could say that wisdom is a sense of thought or being above those of other beings that shows a better understanding of the world around us or within our very selves.

Under those definitions, I could see mine own self being called “wise”, however I find it incorrect, as I help provide knowledge that others can gain insight or wisdom from. But I merely pass on the information. I am not the one that uses it.

Even I myself can continue to debate this till the end all be all of human existence, but I shan’t, which, I suppose, some may say is wise course of action in and of itself. For now, I will simply be honored that someone believes me to be “wise beyond my years” and hope that I can continue to help others achieve the knowledge they need to explore and understand the Afterlife and perhaps do some good in both this life and the next….even though I still think it’s bunk to say I’m wise.

ARLewis

“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
― William Shakespeare, As You Like It

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
― Socrates

“The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.”
― Isaac Asimov

“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.”
― Mark Twain

“Never laugh at live dragons.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Last Edit: 06 Sep 2017 00:27 by ARLewis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Guests Online

We have 24 guests and one member online

• wod063wod